This week has been a true reality check. Sometimes living as an expats is like living in an "alternate universe" as a friend calls it. You aren't in the States which we know and understand with conveniences not offered throughout the rest of the world and we aren't locals. Living as an expat is also not like living as a missionary, but this needs to be a post of its own. We are afforded benefits overseas and a standard of living that we would not otherwise be able to afford. This is a direct result of free housing and less expensive services.
I often grumble about the difficulties of living overseas (the list can go on and on) and try to absolve the myth that the intrigue of travel and seeing the world is a life of bliss and ease. We have a great life and we are abundantly blessed, but it comes at a cost.
This week I have had a good does of reality and I feel all the more blessed in so many ways. And as strange as this may sound, I realize that I have really matured as a mother since I brought home tiny little Abe 6 years ago. The change of pace has been eye-opening and good for all of us.
3 comments:
Don't you just love those "aaa-ha" moments.
It is fun that I was reading this on your blog because I was talking to my brother the other day (that lives in Panama because of working for the Federal Government) and he said just about the same thing - he has lived over seas twice now with his family for a total of 5 years and he said it has yet to get better - just made him more aware of how much he has grown as a father.
Catherine, Steve told me that I was supposed to ask you him name! I think that they have met.
Send me an email if you don't feel comfortable posting it.
jaclyn.barlow@gmail.com
I hear ya! Everyone seems to think that life overseas is one long vacation....
Post a Comment