When deciding whether or not to book the trip, this was one of the deciding factor. How else would be ever see the Falkland Islands or Las Islas Malvinas as they are known in Argentina? They have been under British rule since the late 1800's, but Argentina has laid claim to them because they are on Argentina's continental shelf. The two countries actually went to war over the islands in 1982. The Argentine President asks the U.K. to return the islands every time that she makes a national address. As of late, the plot thickens because there has been an oil discovery and the Brits are going to begin drilling.

We sailed into the South Atlantic Ocean and were greeted by the cold. It was cold, windy and grey. I mean GREY. I was curious what the people and the architecture would look like. The people were in fact British. I still am not sure why this surprised me. The grocery store was full of British goods and the streets were lined in SUVs.


This is the southern most Anglican Cathedral in the world and the whalebone arch.







1 comment:
Oooo - I'd have loved this. I lived in England during the Falkland Islands War and would have loved to see what "all the fuss" (not respectfully worded) was about.
Post a Comment