We once showed up at school to take him out to lunch without telling him because he has been asking for a couple of weeks. When we arrived, he cried and protested because it wasn't part of his plan. He went and was happy, but it took 10 minutes to get him into the car. But I digress.
Yesterday he said to me, "Mom, I am not moving to Lima with you." Until now he had been thinking about all of the new places and people he would meet. "I am staying here." I moved a lot as a child and so I understand the difficulty. At this point, I hugged him and pried for his reasoning. "If I move, I will never see Marcos again." Probably true. What are the odds they will find each other again? However I tried to explain just how small the world is and that he can see them on Skype and Club Penguin. Man, these two really love Club Penguin.
After going back and forth about all of the great reasons to move and how I understood how he felt, he held firm and had officially decided to move into a hotel that I will pay for with food from Marcos' mom. This move is going to be tough for him, and my heart hurts because I know from repeated experience how difficult leaving friends behind really is. I guess it just hasn't hit me this time yet. These are the moments when I question whether or not this lifestyle is best for them. I try to remind myself (and him) of the 3,001 good reason to move, but it just doesn't make anyone feel better right now. Check back in 6 months.

Benja, Juancho, Abe and Manuel
This was his first sleepover. I am not a fan of sleepovers in general and I wasn't sure that we, I mean I, was ready for this. I groaned and paced and worried all night, but he could not have been happier. I am thankful that he has such nice friends with great moms.
No comments:
Post a Comment