Thursday, April 7, 2011

Confession

I love living overseas.  I love to see my children learn a new language.  I love access to an International School Private education that I could never afford if we lived in the States.  I love all of the people that we meet from around the world and learning about their life experiences.  I love living in a rent-free house.  I love that the only utility bill I ever see is for the phone.  I love serving the Peruvian people and the real assistance that I can give.

And without pointing out all of the difficulties (all of the benefits come at a hefty price), I miss decorating my own home the most.  I browse DIY home decorating sites and I long for the day when I can really have a house that I love.  One where I never think about the exit date and do not have to ask myself if a purchase is really worth the amount of time that I will be able to enjoy it.

And sadly, I think that I long for this because it just isn't in the cards - maybe ever.  Am I really going to move every 2 years for the rest our working life?  If I had to hedge my bets, my chips would be on yes. And most days that feels exciting and others, it just feels like I left so much behind.  We serve our country because we love it and I wouldn't mind getting to enjoy it someday. :)

Just sayin'.

5 comments:

Alisha said...

I can only imagine all the prices you pay for the life you are living. I would say, be grateful and enjoy things while you can. We will always believe the grass is greener somewhere else, probably because we're human. It is a healthy exercise to look at our own grass and appreciate the uniqueness of it.

Enjoy Jaclyn and we'll all try not to covet...too much.

Cherilyn said...

I feel the same way. I was just thinking the other day of the all of the best friends I've ALMOST had! Before you know it you move on and it is hard. I'm glad you at least paint your house and do fun things with fabric and such - at least your home feels like home.

Sylvia said...

I hear ya, sister.

Ie Li said...

I remember being a renter and thinking all that you just said. Then we bought this house. I do enjoy decorating it, but I kind of miss not caring so much about the decor of our dwelling. We used to have so many more adventures in DC and now we spend many of our Saturdays working on the house. Oh well. I'm going to try to either care less about the decor or get it done more quickly.

The Sorensons said...

You may long for a house of your own, but your house looks awesome!!! You are an excellent home-decorator. Thanks for helping me out with my own house.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails