Monday, May 2, 2011

Huaraz, Peru

For Easter weekend, we headed to Huaraz (a difficult 6 hour drive) with good friends to take advantage of the extra days off and enjoy the scenic snow-capped mountains.  It was so nice to get away from the desert sand and catch a glimpse of green.  Although I was extremely sick due to the altitude (note to self: take medicine in the weeks leading up to this kind of trip), it was really awesome to catch a glimpse of the life of the native people of Peru.  They speak their native Indian language and live a life that you can only imagine existed hundreds of years ago.  

There were small children as well as teenagers who tried to set traps of one kind or another to stop us along the way at various time.  You can only wonder whether or not they would have tried to rob us or if they were simply looking for handouts.  Steve had to shout at the window to let them know that we were not stopping.  We nearly hit a handful of dogs and sheep, but our friends came within inches of a poor sheep that cross the road at the wrong time.  Sometimes the travel can be a little stressful, but you just can't even really buy these experiences.  I am not sure that people will even believe me when I recount these stories in 20 years.

View from the Car

On Day 2, we headed 15 miles up into the mountains to visit Honkopampa.  A pre-Incan Ruin near a hikable waterfall.  We rode small horses to the waterfall and then hiked on foot past it.  This was definetly the highlight of the trip.  I wished I was able to take a picture of the incredible scene.  10 of us on horseback, led by tradional Quenchan people into the hills.  I was holding Sophie, so the camera stayed in the bag.   

Just snagged this from Cherilyn's blog:

On a road much like the one below, I even saw a girl with down syndrome dressed in traditional clothing with her basket of laundry that she was taking to the stream.

Traveling unmarked dirt road through tradional Indian villages.

Cade, Sophia, Abe, Peyton and Will

At the waterfall

Abe's horse and Guide

And in case we hadn't had enough time to really soak in the views, our friend's car was stuck in the mud on the way to see the Ruins after the hike.  It took 3 hours to realize that the engine block was stuck in the mud. Every trip needs a little story to tell, right?   

Entrance to the Ruins: $1
Horseback Ride to the Waterfall: $3
3 hours with native Quechuan people trying to dig the car out of the mud: PRICELESS.



It gave the kids a chance to play in the pond and get really muddy:


Don't miss the ruins in the background, sheep wandering into the scene near the car, native Quechan people lending thier assistance and Scott praying for a successful pull.

A few more tourists to help and some time later, this was the final push:


The reason for the trip:
Huascaran (22,205ft) - Can you see the snow capped peaks above the clouds?


Lake Llaganuco

 Pre-Incan Ruins at 14,000+ ft


This face in the snow was extremely amusing.  I think that it looks like Darth Vader.  Do you see it?

Our favorite thing about traveling is seeing just how people really live.  This village is quite large considering it's location.  There are only small footpaths into this agricultural village.  Just imagine how removed from the world they are.  Incredible.

4 comments:

Robyn said...

Dying Jack. I'm DYING. Can't even begin to tell you how much I wish I had been there.

Hooray for adventures :) - oh how I love them. The picture of Steve in the field? MY FAVE.

Rebecca Barlow said...

Wow! Your kids are sooo lucky to be having these experiences. I have to say, I'm jealous :) What a fabulous place.

Katie said...

Breathtaking photos! Can we come visit? :) Really, what a fun adventure. And your kids are so grown up, i can't believe it! Your daughters are beautiful. We miss you guys!

Taylor's said...

I just want to be a fly in one of your backpacks that way I can see everything! What a great adventure and experience!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails