Monday, May 2, 2011

The Sacred Valley

The Sacred Valley is an incredible place.  Simply Beautiful.


Just look at those fingers.

Sophia loved this little llama.  My mom has a better photo somewhere.

This llama farm was one of our favorite stops.

The kids learned firsthand how wool is dyed.

This was our guide at the farm.  He kept the kids stocked with greens.

Sacred Valley


Market Center in Pisac

This is Ollantaytambo - the last stop for vehicles.  You have to take the train the rest of the way to Machu Picchu.  We spent a night here after train service was cancelled due to high rain waters.  This entire town was constructed by Incans and was an Incan stronhold during the Spanish Conquest. 

These women are using the running water to wash their clothes.


Ruins built into the side of the mountain.


New construction built on old.


This is inside the traditional home from the photo above. There were guinea pigs being raised for this month's dinner and strange skulls nestled in wall niches.  I felt bad for taking photos, so I bought a small wool cardigan for Sophia.

If Abe had his way, he would have wandered through the maze of streets for hours looking for secret hideouts.


I spent the day chewing on coca leaves and cloves hoping that the pain of the abscess would subside.  I searched high and low looking for a decent pain killer.  As it turns out, anything with addictive qualities is illegal here in Peru because they cannot properly regulate the pharmacies.

3 comments:

Robyn said...

Thank you - your photos are much better now :)

Rebecca Barlow said...

Sorry you were in pain for a lot of this trip but it is amazing to see these pictures and imagine the places you have been.

Alisha said...

All your photos make me want to pull out my album and re-live memories.

I can only imagine how much pain you must have been in to be able to chew on coca tea leaves - YUCK! When we arrived in Cusco the hotel immediately made us start drinking the tea. I almost threw up. After trying it a second time I gave up. I went to the pharmacy for soroche pills. Luckily, I handled the altitude okay.

I also can't believe how tall those mountains are! When we flew from Lima to Cusco we saw the peaks sticking up above the clouds, like little islands. INCREDIBLE! It's great that you got up so close and personal with them. I am super jealous.

I think it is great that your family gets to have all these experiences. Your children's lives are so rich, just having you and Steve as parents, but then you give them so much to experience. Can I be your kid?

We miss you. I am happy that your lives are so full and busy. Take care.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails