Thursday, May 8, 2008

Kraft Mac and Cheese

Having lived in Argentina just slightly shy of 6 months, we have finally run out of the Costco 12 pack of Mac and Cheese that we had packed with our household goods. Now, I know that this does not sound like such a travesty to the majority of you, however this was the final source of cheddar (or the flavor that is) cheese. I have often said that of all of the foods that I miss, Cheddar Cheese ranks #1. I love cheddar alone, but I really love Mexican food. Good 'ole Tex Mex just isn't the same topped with a mozzarella-like variation. This however brings up a very controversial question in the Foreign Service circles. It could probably be debated for hours...

Should you hold on to American customs or embrace the country that you live in? Or can you have a little bit of both?

6 comments:

Robyn said...

My take? . . . Embrace the country you're in. You're time there is limited and temporary. Even with Steve's employment being what it is, you'll still spend the majority of your life Stateside. Immerse yourself in 'different' while you can! (And I do have a bit of experience in this area -- this is not a completely blind opinion . . . => )

Robyn said...

Whoops - I used the wrong version of 'your'. Good thing I be a college grad!!

Sylvia said...

I don't know about the cultural debate, but....I'm SO SORRY you don't have access to cheddar cheese!!! You know my relationship with cheese: we're tight. Well, thanks to it, my bum's not, but I know you love cheese as I do, so I'm sorry!! :) Miss you!

Happy Wanderers said...

I hear you!!! They barely have cheese here at all, and I'm afraid to try it! I have been able to get cheese every once in awhile from the commissary, so that's been a 'special treat' for us! :)

I can say, though, that it's taken me until about 2 weeks ago to finally decide that I just need to let go of what I'm used to eating. If I keep trying to find the things that we're used to eating, it will be much more stressful and more expensive. So, for me, I say embrace that weird cheese and maybe by the time we're on to post #2 we'll really miss it and have to accustom ourselves to something totally new once again! I do feel like I'm going through a death every time we finish off something that we brought with us that we can't possibly get here... :))

The Georges said...

It is good to see your cute family! Congratulations on the new expansion of it as well. Despite culture shock I am glad you are doing well. Highschool seems like so long ago!
I agree with Robyn who says that your experiences there are limited and temporary so experience all that you can.
However, its not a bad thing to crave cheddar cheese, meat, or anything from "home" that brings comfort. Especially, if you find yourself getting homesick.
Hang in there!
--Julee

Eliza said...

First of all, food cravings are more intense when you're pregnant. So that's something to take into account.

That aside, I say embrace the surrounding culture, but allow yourself occasional indulgences that remind you of home. I NEVER eat McDonalds here, or even hamburgers really, but when I lived in Austria I ate there once or twice, just because. It was the closest thing to home at that moment.

There's nothing the matter with hanging on to a little bit of home, just as long as you enjoy your current surroundings too. The fact is that we (at least I) almost never appreciate something as much in the moment as I do later on, looking back. For instance, I enjoyed it mildly then, but I would pay really good money now for some good Hungarian food. (Not Austrian food though, no thanks. blecch)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails