Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Beyond Buenos Aires: Tandil Part 1

THE DRIVE

Last weekend, we enjoyed a GREAT weekend in the Southern Pampas and along the Argentine coast. We loved it so much that we literally took 388 photos. I promise, I will not include them all, but there will be quite a few.

We left Buenos Aires on Friday morning to head to Tandil. The drive started off a little slow due to the fog that has settled in and was obviously a regular occurence. We were pleased to see the National Police being proactive because those of you have traveled here to see us know that Argentines are very aggressive drivers.

By driving, you can see so much more of where you are headed. Who built this? And more interestingly, who is going to buy it? And what are they going to do with it?


We would have never seen this boy with is horse:

or this shanty home. Can you imagine being born and raised in an unpopulated area in this home? We are so blessed.

Once we made our way through the fog, it felt as though we were driving through one of the Western States. Cattle trucks and all.


and we wish that we would have seen a few less of these:

The kids loved their new iPods (Thanks Nina!) loaded with Laurie Berkner, Children's Primary Songs and InsideOut A Cappella and we loved our uninterrupted conversation, at least for a short time.


But all in all, the 4.5 hour drive was the perfect start to the weekend.

2 comments:

Cauley Clark said...

Those shanty homes look like about half the homes I saw on my mission. We really are blessed.

Alisha said...

Wow. Your trip to the south looks amazing. I still glance through the Argentina travel book I bought shortly after you moved. The country has so much to offer and I want to see it all.

I hate that I can't tell you "Yes, we're on our way to Argentina." Eric is spending another week's worth of summer vacation at scout camp. I had hoped that one sacrificed summer was enough and he wouldn't have to go again this year. Well, actually I just hoped he would have been released by now. Oh well. We're headed to Portland for a week so Eric can sit in meetings all day and Evie and I can play. Then there are absolutely no travel prospects for the rest of the year. This kid thing puts a huge damper on travel.

The kids look great and so did Steve. You need to remember to include photos of yourself too.

Alisha

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails