Friday, April 11, 2008

Toddler Adaptation

I am ceasingly intrigued by human interaction and the why's and how's of why we act the way that we do. What is even more interesting is watching the interactions of children in large group and their tendencies of gravitation. Living as a foreigner in a non-english speaking country brings this issue to light weekly, if not daily.

Abe is in a class of 24 children which is taught in English (instruction is more often than not bilingual because 21 of the children are learning English for the first time and speak spanish at home), yet all of the play is in spanish including recess, physical education and music class. We are impressed with Abe's ability and interest in learning spanish. However, back to my original point, it is incredible to see how he has gravitated to the two other children he can communicate with. Now I know that this is not surprising, but what is surprising is that he has become really good friends with a little British girl who is ALL girl. I might add that she is one of the cutest little girls that I have ever seen. For the two of them, it is the language that has brought them together and requires them to find other common interests such as books and make believe.

In Peyton's class, there are 11 children all within 6 months of age. All of her instruction and play is in spanish. As a matter of fact, the teachers speak such limited english that I am forced to really work when trying to get a 'childhood development' point across. It is a good opportunity for me as well to really express what I am thinking because I need to communicate effectively. There is one other American boy in her class. Everyday when I ask her about her morning, I get a report about the other boy and according to her teachers, they always play together. His mom made an interesting comment as well about the fact that he finally was willing to part with her in morning since Peyton began. These children communicate in spanish better than the older ones as the learning is easier for them and yet, they still 'stick' together.

Language and human interaction really are incredibly fascinating...

4 comments:

Robyn said...

Communication is a pretty basic need - right up there with food and water. Now it's more obvious why there are such things as 'Chinatown' and other ethnic groupings in various towns.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say congrats on your good news!

Eliza said...

That is interesting! Especially since your kids are so young. I wouldn't have thought that. At first I thought maybe Abe would have made better friends with the Spanish-speaking kids if there were no English speakers, but then you brought up the point about the boy in Peyton's class. Fascinating! I will definitely be interested to see how they pick up the language and integrate more over time.

I'm also interested in the cultural aspect. I mean besides the language, do the English-speaking kids play at all differently, like in a way that your kids are more used to? Just a thought.

Lindsey said...

Wow, what a great post. Your kids are going to be such strong adults. I'm sad for you that ebay probably doens't deliver to South America, but ya never know, give it a try. That totally made me smile remembering "freshman." Do you remember driving to graduation together with Lynsey for the class of '97? Sophmore year was not a good year for me, socially at least. It gives me the creepies to remember it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails