Monday, April 21, 2008

Yerba Mate


Mate is not just a warm soothing tea-like drink, it is a national pastime for Argentines. I have heard it referred to as the drink of "Health and Friendship". In Buenos Aires, the gourds are carved from wood or made of leather with a special silver straw which contains a filter and are carried around for use throughout the day. Public trash cans are often lined with the leftover herbs. Although local members and Argentines reassure me that there are far more health benefits than that of coffee and tea, I do not see this as one of our new daily indulgences.

The first time that I heard of Mate Cocido was when Steve went to Youth Conference with our church the weekend of Semana Santa. Mate Cocido is made in large batches with "tea-bag" like packs and hot water and is not as concentrated as it is in the other form.

I give you this short cultural background as to explain the following conversation I had with Peyton today when I picked her up from school.

M: How was school today, sweetheart?
P: I don't want the hot juice.
M: Was it yummy?
P: No, I don't like it.
M: Did you have water instead?
P: No, I just want it warm. (a.k.a. I don't like it)

Today was first day of Mate for the class of 2 year olds. This is what they will have for snack most days, coupled with crackers or cookies. Apparently, they begin helping them to acquire the taste when they are young. I still am not sure how I feel about a toddlers daily consumption of the mate, but we are in Argentina.

Updated: Here is a brief video from the Today Show.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails