Monday, April 9, 2012

Camping in Lunahuana


We headed down to Lunahuana for the first part of the holiday weekend to take advantage the school-free days before Easter.  Last year we traveled with the Bloomers to Huaraz and this year proved to be no less eventful.

On the way down, I was rear-ended by an '82 with no insurance.   In Peru, if the two drivers can come to an agreement on the side of the road, no one has to go file a report at the police station, which could take hours.  Even though I was clearly rear-ended while at a complete stop in traffic with my hazards on (we came to to a quick stop around a bend and it is just habit to put them on), the other driver still wanted compensation from me because 1)his damage was worse and 2)I obviously appear to have more money in general than he has.  The kids are still talking about the radiator fluid that was spilling from his car.  In the moment, they wanted me to make sure that it wouldn't explode and that I did not step on it in case it was like acid.


We were ready for a great weekend!  It became so comical (the other driver demanding money) that all I could do is laugh.  It could have been a little intimidating that I had 2 marines and a security officer form the embassy as reinforcements! By the time that we left, 3 embassy cars had stopped to support me. We really have such great friends!  Cherilyn made sure that she documented the scene in case we ended up in the police station.


This photo of his car doesn't look as bad as I remember in person.  I do feel bad for him.  It was an accident and it did ruin his weekend.
This is the police officer with my Diplomatic ID.  He wouldn't give it back until we could come to a resolution.

We didn't let this spoil the weekend!  The kids and I camped, played in the river, ziplined and went whitewater rafting.  There are photos of us in the rafts somewhere, but I was too busy to worry about them myself.  Sophia cried and wanted to turn around for the first couple of minutes on the raft, but after she found a good place to nestle into my side and a few songs, she was fine.  When she hopped off the raft, she exclaimed, "That was so fun!" However, when I asked her if she wanted to go again she shot me down with a quick "nope."

Not a great photo, but our campsite was down below.  This was taken from the road-level where we parked.  We had to hike all of the stuff up and down the hill.  Not ideal for me and 3 little people, but we have great friends who were quick to lend a hand.

These guys were excited!

The kids love this!

As one of the first to head down, I was a little nervous.  I knew that nothing was going to happen, but Abe really is growing up.

Peyton ready for a launch.

Peyton heading down attached to a guide.  When we went again for a second time the following day, she did it alone.  She says that it was a lot more fun by herself!

We hadn't planned on Sophia being able to go, but the guides insisted that she was old enough and they had gear just her size.  When she was done, she begged to go again!

It really seems as though we are turning over a new leaf with my little family.  Everyone could participate.

Playing animals in the "play tent".

Getting ready for some whitewater rafting.
 This camp was a boy's heaven.  There were 6-7 boys from the ages or 6 to 13 camping with us.  Abe loved it.   It really was worth hiking down the camp gear!
Abe was free to roam!  Check out the avocado trees next to the camp. There were a few other fruit trees as well.  The kids were not supposed to pick them prematurely, but we all can guess how that went. 

What is it with boys and fires?  I couldn't keep Abe out!

And we simply don't get to see enough blue in Lima...

7 comments:

The Sorensons said...

Wow. You are so on top of it. I might finally get pictures onto our computer in another few weeks from the camping trip. You have some great pictures. We had a great time with your family!

Taylor's said...

Holy Fun! I heart would be sinking with everyone of my children going down! What a great experience for all.

And that is simply crazy about the car accident! Seriously, that really could take HOURS to agree!

Alisha said...

Good for you going solo. It looks like a blast of a trip. I wish I had a rope bridge network like that in my backyard!

Jaclyn said...

@Alisha I completely forgot to ask them why it was roped off, but it was out of commission. It was pretty scary looking. I was a little relieved that Abe wasn't begging to climb it. :) Congrats on your great run!

Web Services said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Anonymous said...

Hi My family and I want to go to camping this yr to Lunahuana and I was wondering where you guys camped...it looks like exactly what we are looking for.

Jaclyn said...

Hi Marianne! We loved this trip! We camped on the Rio Canete with Warko Adventures. They were great. We booked whitewater rafting and ziplines through them too! Enjoy! We loved our time in Peru.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails