I have rediscovered fictional novels. In college, we read hundreds of pages a week for classes which left little desire to read "for fun." After college, I had children, a house to take care of, a traveling husband, church obligations and a business to run. Obviously, this did not leave me with leisurely time to read. For the most part, I was limited to TIME magazine and online articles.
Now... I have time. Actually, it has been quite an adjustment. Granted, I still have children which occupy the greater part of my day, but I no longer have housework or a business. This means that there is time for me... and for books. I no longer have access to a public library, and am forced to buy them online. Are amazon book reviews reliable? I do not want to shop blindly.
What do you suggest? Are there any novels that you could not put down or consider a 'must read'? I am really looking forward to your responses.
Update: Thanks for your responses. I have now joined GoodReads. I have just ordered: The Secret Life of Bees, These is my Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901, Outlander, The Giver, Gathering Blue, and The Book of a Thousand Days based on reviews by friends that I trust. Maybe this will keep me busy for a while...
8 comments:
I hope Angie Taylor is connected to your blog because she would have some really good suggestions for you. I've recently read "The Peacegiver" by James Ferrell and really loved it. Historical fictions are some of my favorites so the Dean Hughes series "Children of the Promise" is also great. It's a five book series set during WWII. I hope you enjoy your time! We sure miss you.
Ben prays for Abe to have fun in Argentina and he really misses you guys! We love you!
I often buy books off Amazon, and they're usually fine. I think the reviews are mostly accurate, just remember that you're often buying used books (but it's much cheaper!). Some of my favorite reads of later have been: The Other Boleyn Sister, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Saving Fish From Drowning, and Eat, Pray, Love. Enjoy!
My favorites: the classics! Are you into them? If not, you're going to hate my author list, but maybe you'll like them, so...
1. Jane Austen, of course.
2. Tolstoy. I just re-read Anna Karenina and I was so sad when I came to the end!
3. Dickens.
4. Edith Wharton. So good.
5. Bronte sisters. My favorites are Tenant of Wildfell Hall and Jane Eyre.
I hope you enjoy! And if you have any good suggestions for me, pass them on....
I'm not sure what types of books you generally enjoy, but I'm hugely into Young Adult novels simply because they are fun and there is a lot less chance of running into smut than what you see in adult fiction these days.
Try the Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer. Those are fun! Not the best books in the entire world, but light reading that sucks you in. If you need more suggestions, let me know!
Here are some old classics as well as some recent ones I really enjoyed:
1. These is my Words (yes, that is the right spelling).
2. Walk Two Moons (light, adolescent novel)
3. My Antonia
4. In case you never read it in college or high school:
Grapes of Wrath
Enjoy! Keep me updated on what you decide to read and what you end up liking!
Jaclyn, I am glad Talai mentioned Grapes of Wrath. I haven't read that one...yet, but I really enjoy John Steinbeck. I just finished Sweet Thursday and enjoyed it a lot. Alisha
I was wondering when you were going to make the general announcement! Glad to know the word is out! Congratulations!
You need to join the Good Reads crew, or the Shelfari group!! (I like both, but recommend Good Reads, as Angie Taylor and Shanae, and Wendy Harrison, and April Dalton and a few others are already on there...) I take ALL the books I buy from their recommendations! (No pressure, guys!) I have TONS of recommendations...but not enough space!! I'm in the same boat as you. Most of the people here in Africa can't even SPEAK correct English, let alone read or have libraries! (I am not in any way shape or form degrading the people here...I LOVE the people, LOVE their accent and way of speaking, but pigeon English is not a written thing and totally incomprehensible to me!!) I buy about 90% of my books from Amazon. Mostly for the free shipping.
By the way, thanks for the message on my blog...I'm glad to know that I'm not all alone in this experience, either!
And...is that little baby-gaga thing an announcement?!?!? Are you going to be an official 'FS' family now with the overseas baby?? :) Congrats!!! Are you going to be med-evaced or are you going to have it there???
Post a Comment